Saturday, January 8, 2011

"Gotta catch 'em all"

Well, I had my first order for a cake this week.  It was lots of fun to make.  My friend from school asked me to do a cake for her son's 17th birthday.  She decided on a strawberry cake with vanilla icing and wanted it to have a Pokemon theme.  I really knew nothing about Pokemon so I had to do some research to come up with an idea.  I settled on doing a three tiered cake.  The bottom tier was done with two 10 in square cakes, the middle was three 8 in round cakes and the top was done with a ball cake pan.  Each layer was strawberry with a vanilla buttercream center.  I covered each tier in fondant, but I did something a little different.  I made some modeling chocolate and kneaded a 1/3 chocolate and 2/3 fondant.  This made the fondant taste a little better than it normally does.  I proceeded to cover the bottom two tiers with blue fondant and yellow starts.  The round ball cake on top was made into the Pokeman ball from the cartoon.  I had so much fun working on this cake and hope that Bryan (the birthday boy) really enjoyed it.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRYAN :)





1 comment: